Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Artwork by Robin Kachantones at The Record Ranch


Get up close and personal with many of the greatest musicians of the twentieth century at the Face the Music exhibition to open at The Record Ranch Gallery inside Cactus Music, 2110 Portsmouth, on August 1st. All works were recently created despite Robin’s busy schedule of teaching at Texas State University and creating images for clients such as Coca-Cola, Hasbro, Fisher-Price and others.
 
The exhibition of prints includes striking images of groundbreaking female rockers Patti Smith, Deborah Harry, Annie Lennox and Tina Turner. A series of prints featuring Texas blues legends Blind Lemon Jefferson, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Freddie King is included as well as work by pioneer rockers such as Iggy Pop, Jimi Hendrix and more.

The pieces range from digital prints on archival paper to one-offs. using mixed media included digital and hand drawn images on 1940's original music sheet paper which are limited pieces.
“I grew up around live music and incredible musicians- - my dad, Ray Shipman, toured with Jerry lee Lewis. And Dad’s still out there playing gigs! Though I can’t sing or play an instrument, I can make colorful music through my “rock and wail” portraits. “Face the Music” is my tribute to those who, like me, have a profound passion and tremendous talent for doing what they love.”
“"Face the Music" is also more than a simple tribute for me. My body was pretty torn up and my psyche shaken after a car wreck. The recovery last year was slow, painful, and difficult. I had to face the music myself, so to speak. When the opportunity to do this show came up, I grabbed it like a life line. Making the art for this show and all the incredible and positive support of the Record Ranch, my husband, family and friends has been a salve to my soul. I have faced the music--and am uplifted by it.”
“My creative process is to do my research on the artists - both photos and instruments then listen to their music while I draw. Making sure I get a clear photo references of the eyes are which is key to portraits. You miss the eyes, you miss the entire thing.”
- Robin Kachantones

A reception with the artist, which is open to the public, will be held from 7 – 10 p.m. on Saturday, August 1st. The evening also will include a special live musical performance and a live Rockabilly DJ session by Clint Broussard of KTRU’s Blues in Hi-Fi. Refreshments will be provided by The St. Arnold Brewing Company.

The exhibition is free and runs through October, 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home